Saturday, October 20, 2007

Political Activism: Prominent Connecticut Civil Rights Attorney Catherine Roraback, 87, Dies

CATHERINE RORABACK, second from left, speaks with some of the Black Panther defendants and fellow attorney L. Scott Melville on the steps of Superior Court in New Haven in October 1970. From left are Frances Carter, Roraback, Margaret Hudgins, Rose Marie Smith and Melville. (ROBERT FICKS / COURANT FILE PHOTO / October 20, 2007)

'A Quiet Crusader' in The Hartford Courant here.
'Catherine Roraback's Enduring Gift' by Bill Curry here.
New Haven Black Panther Trials here.
Two Controversial Cases in New Haven History here.

ALL POWER TO THE PEOPLE here.

This is the true story of the Black Panthers. It is also the story of those who inspired their creation and the many political groups they in turn inspired. It is a story of true revolutionary resistance to oppression, and how the American government and it's many agencies conspired to covertly and overtly destroy these movements (and still do). This shows just how far the enemies of freedom will go to destroy anyone who stands up and fights back.

All Power To The People!

7 comments:

Bob Hoeppner said...

Don't have time to read the article right now, but do those hairstyles and sideburns bring back memories!

Dana Herbert said...

I LOVE it!!!

Dana Herbert said...

My email exchange with John R. Williams, formerly of Roraback, Williams & Avery, this morning:

On 10/20/07, Dana Herbert wrote:

John,

Very saddened to read about your friend and colleague Catherine Roraback.

It sounds like she had a great and interesting life though! I'm sure that you helped make that happen.

Dana

On 10/20/07, John R Williams wrote:

Thank you. I don’t think I contributed much to her life, but she certainly contributed to mine. She was a terrific pain in the ass, but I would be a very different, and I think lesser, lawyer today were it not for the lessons and example I got from her.

Bob Hoeppner said...

Hah! Not a bad legacy-- to be a pain, but an instructive one!

Bob Hoeppner said...

I read the article. I expected it to be longer. Yes, she was quite a person. Thanks for pointing her out. I especially value that she could go from a brief flareup of anger to laughter, as I sometimes have similar mercurial temperament.

Dana Herbert said...

I do the same thing!

Mercurial, huh?

Bob Hoeppner said...

It doesn't sound as bad to say "mercurial", does it? When I get angry, it's like the bubbles that froth on hot chocolate and then disappear, still leaving the sweetness. Or so I like to think.