Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Political Activism: Cindy Sheehan Says Adios

Quotes from CBS News:
Anti-war activist Cindy Sheehan announced Monday she is giving up her role as the "face" of the American anti-war movement.

Sheehan, 49, of Vacaville, Calif., lost her 24-year-old son Casey in Iraq on April 4, 2004. She has since emerged as one of the most vocal and high-profile opponents of the war, drawing international attention nearly two years ago when she camped outside President Bush's Crawford, Texas ranch to protest the war.

"I am getting out before it totally consumes me or anymore people that I love and the rest of my resources," she said.

"I have used all my energy trying to stop this country from slaughtering innocent human beings. I have been called every despicable name that small minds can think of and have had my life threatened many times," Sheehan said.

But she said the most devastating conclusion she had reached "was that Casey did indeed die for nothing ... killed by his own country which is beholden to and run by a war machine that even controls what we think".

"I guess no one paid attention to me when I said that the issue of peace and people dying for no reason is not a matter of 'right or left', but 'right and wrong,"' the diary says.

Sheehan criticized "blind party loyalty" as a danger, no matter which side it involved, and said the current two-party system is "corrupt" and "rapidly descending into with nary a check or balance: a fascist corporate wasteland."

Cindy's DailyKos Diary: "Good Riddance Attention Whore"

Cindy Sheehan plans to pursue other humanitarian causes now.

Perhaps she will join the GREEN party?

No comments: